Yesterday I was named “the Most Viewed Writer in History of the Jewish People” in the last 30 days on Quora with 5,606 from only 3 answers! And on January 19 the “Most Viewed Writer on Jewish Culture” Jan 19 (I think 8th runner up) and “Most Viewed Writer on Jewish Ethnicity “Jan 32 (I think 2nd up) and this is the funniest “Most View Writer on Palestinian” Feb 1 (#1).
‘Quora connects you to everything you want to know about. Quora aims to be the easiest place to write new content and share content from the web. We organize people and their interests so you can find, collect and share the information most valuable to you.” Adam D’Angelo, Quora Founder – Adam is a Most Viewed Writer in Quora.
According to Peter Baskerville, Member since June 2010. Member #21,922. Top Writer 2012 & 13 14.2k Views
- “Quora is an online collaborative information sharing and learning platform.
- Quora is an online engineering platform that connects the information needs of real people with information solutions provided by real people.
- Quora is an expanding, continuously improving, democratically ranked resource library that contains ‘bite’ sized nodules of highly contextualized learning.
- Quora is the mobile university. What articles are to desktops, Quora’s answers are to mobile devices – the ‘1 minute’ solution to the many daily questions we all have.
- Quora is ‘just-in-time’ learning. i.e. providing the specific answer that a person wants, when they want it and in the form and quantity they need.
- Quora is an online platform that is harnessing the power of technological innovation to usher in a paradigm shift in education and learning.
- Quora is a lead player in the 21st century’s global learning revolution.”
The claim is: Quora currently has somewhere around 100 million users
Yet apparently it is understood like any other Internet community, only a small fraction of the users are active. Quora most likely follows the 90-9-1 rule of participation (90% accounts are dead accounts or lurkers with no visible activity, 9% will upvote and follow, but not write, 1% will actively contribute content). But those figures are just estimation; it could just as well be 80-15-5 for Quora.
What is Upvote? That is the famous little “click” – a writer’s validation – of the mouse that shows the reader agrees with what you said.
I have been on Quora since December and have a total of 20.9k views and 416 upvotes. But what I am most proud of is where I’m getting viewed and upvoted. The question: “Given how cruelly history has treated Jews, why are they doing to the Palestinians what others have done to them?” I received 69 upvotes and 5.64K views! I have answered 150 questions and asked 5 and had 1.89k views. And there is another component of Quora (though I haven’t figured out what it really means: I have 21 followers.
But what is strange the same or almost same question can be asked again – so thinking how important it is to be viewed on such an issue – I started answering more of the same:
“What is the difference between how the Jews were treated by the Nazis and how the Palestinians are treated by Israelis?”
So far I have 5 upvotes and with 233 views.
And “Do Jews think that they are morally on the right side in the Israel–Palestine conflict?” just asked a few days ago. I received 3 upvotes and 69 views.
So considering they are similar – there have been almost 6k views and 77 upvotes. (And I looked; though most are Jews doing the upvote but half aren’t.
So what does this mean?
- I hope I’m actually doing something to change the negativity out there against Israel.
- I have been sharpening my writing skills.
- On my blog; meaning you my dear readers – I have usually 3-7 views. Once to the help of my dedicated sister-in-law I received 100 views. But with Quora I actually am viewed worldwide.
Now only if my new boss to be is reading – and I’ll get that job that would pay big bucks, put me as their main writer and I would be writing all those things I love to tell everyone.
Thanks for joining me – but don’t feel bad, I love that you are reading my blogs.