Secular Taxi Driver: You know, I really don’t like when women dress in a provocative way. It doesn’t present them in a nice way, they may look sexy, but not necessarily attractive or someone I want to hitch up with. Honestly, it makes me think less of them.
Reporter: I wonder what sometimes these women are thinking. Can you imagine a queen start showing off her body for all to see? The more important someone is, the less they actually show off their body. The more important a person is the more they cover themselves.
Secular Taxi Driver: Yeah! That is just it. I mean I don’t mind looking, but I sure don’t really want much to do with women who dress to show. Look at the singers Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Beyonce or Madonna! Personally, they look like low-lives. You know that one of Adel’s attraction is that she thinks better of herself and dresses actually modestly? Hey, I think men who feel a need to show off their bodies have got a problem. When I work out I wear a shirt – there is no need to go without one unless it is to show off, which we could all do without.
Hey, I even think men who show off their bodies have got a problem. When I work out I wear a shirt – there is no need to go without one unless it is to show off, which we could all do without.
Newly female Baalei Teshuva said factually, but actually not getting it: So, women are not supposed to sing in front of men (except for their family) because women’s singing affect men.
Baalei Teshuva’s brother, a bit anti-religious: Yeah.
Newly female Baalei Teshuva: What do you mean ‘yeah’?
Baalei Teshuva’s brother: I don’t get your question, of course, women singing affects men.
Newly female Baalei Teshuva: Really?
Modesty. An infringement on women rights or a path to more respect?
In the Aaron Kodesh the most precious item in the shul is hidden – the Torah Scrolls. They are sealed in a box with a lock, and curtains. Jewelry that is valuable are kept in boxes with a lock and even at times in a safe in a bank. Aren’t our bodies valuable enough to be concealed from any onlooker? There are times we wear jewelry so all can see, just like we bring out and raise the Torah scroll up so all can look. The difference it is worn so it looks nice, or shown at the proper time, not just hanging around to be exposed at all times and be taken disadvantage of (which is the result of improper dressing).
Quotes of Modesty
- “My value as a woman is not measured by the size of my waist or the number of men who like me. My worth as a human being is measured on a higher scale: a scale of righteousness and piety. And my purpose in life-despite what fashion magazines say-is something more sublime than just looking good for men.”
― Yasmin Mogahed,
- Modesty is the conscience of the body. Honore de Balzac
- Modesty is the color of virtue. Diogenes
- Good taste is the modesty of the mind; that is why it cannot be either imitated or acquired. Delphine de Girardin
- “Unaffected modesty is the sweetest charm of female excellence, the richest gem in the diadem of her honor.” ― Noah Webster
- Beauty without modesty is like words without honesty. Anil Sinha
- Real beauty is in modesty and the absence of ego. Senora Roy
- The best makeup is a smile. The best jewelry is modesty. The best clothing is confidence.
What do you think?